Texas Wineries Win Top Awards in the 2013 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition
The 2013 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition Champions are:
- Grand Champion Best of Show – Alexander Valley Vineyards CYRUS, Alexander Valley, 2008
- Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show – Williams Selyem Westside Road Neighbors, Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley, 2010
- Top Texas Wine – Pedernales Cellars Viognier, Texas, 2012
- Top Country Wine (Italy) – Bolla Amarone, Veneto, 2007
- Top All-Around Winery – E & J Gallo Winery, Modesto, Calif.
- Top Wine Company – Messina Hof Winery, Bryan, Texas
- Top Sparkling Wine – Gosset Excellence Brut, Champagne, Non-Vintage
- Top White Wine – Consilience Wines Viognier, Santa Barbara County, 2011
- Top Red Wine – Silkwood Wines Alicante Bouchet, California, Non-Vintage
- Top Sweet Wine – Yalumba Museum Reserve Antique Tawny, Barossa Valley, Non-Vintage
- Top Value Wine – Cycles Gladiator Winery Pinot Noir, California, 2011
This was the 10th annual International Wine Competition judging and boasted 2,884 wines from 943 wineries in Texas, across the United States and around the world. Twenty-one countries participated in the competition and 2,293 medals were awarded by 20 panels of judges, consisting of wine experts, collectors and knowledgeable consumers.
“It’s great timing—now you know what to serve at your special holiday dinners!” said Skip Wagner, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo president.
Champions will be awarded buckles, chaps and saddles at the Rodeo Uncorked! Roundup and Best Bites Competition Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013. In addition to the champion wines, the Best Bites competition features offerings from select Houston-area restaurants and caterers vying to earn attendees’ votes in the Best Bites Competition. The top restaurant awards will be presented that evening, along with three new special titles: the Roundup and Best Bites Tasty Tradition, Rookie and Outstanding Showmanship awards.
All champion wines will be auctioned at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Auction and Dinner Saturday, March 2, 2013.
For tickets and more information for these Rodeo Uncorked! events, visit www.rodeohouston.com, email email@example.com or call 832.667.1128.
Guests of the 2013 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo also can enjoy a selection of award-winning wines by the taste, glass or bottle at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Garden, located in Carruth Plaza. For more information on tickets and events in the Champion Wine Garden, visit www.rodeohouston.com.
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is a Section 501(c)(3) charity that benefits youth, supports education, and facilitates better agricultural practices through exhibitions and presentation. Since its beginning in 1932, the Show has committed more than $330 million to the youth of Texas. The 2013 Show runs Monday, Feb. 25, through Sunday, March 17. For tickets and more information, visit www.rodeohouston.com.
The Pedernales Cellars Viognier winner was the 2012, not the 2010. It is now available from the Pedernales website for shipping.
Thanks, Jeff for finding the error in my ways. I cut and pasted but lost part of it and rather than repaste I just typed it in (wrong!).