Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo™ 2012 Int’l Wine Competition Champion: Includes Messina Hof Solera Texas Sherry
Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo officials announced today the champion wines from the 2012 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition.
The ninth annual Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition judging, held Nov. 12‐ 13, 2011, at Reliant Center, boasted 2,454 wines from 736 wineries in Texas, across the United States and around the world. Twenty countries participated in the competition and 1,817 medals were awarded by 18 panels of judges, consisting of local, national, and international wine experts.
2012 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition Champions:
- Grand Champion Best of Show – Marchesi Antinori Srl Guado al Tasso, Bolgheri, 2007
- Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show – Cellar Costers del Ros L’Obila, Priorat, 2004
- Top Texas Wine – Messina Hof Solara, Texas, 2004
- Top French Wine – Vincent Girardin Pouilly Fuisse, Vieilles Vignes, Pouilly Fuisse, 2009
- Top All‐Around Winery – Francis Coppola Winery, Napa Valley
- Top Wine Company – Trinchero Family Estate
- Top Sparkling Wine – Laetitia Vineyard & Winery Brut Rose, Arroyo Grande Valley, 2007
- Top White Wine – Marchesi Antinori Srl Castello della Sala Estate Cervaro della Sala, Umbria, 2009
- Top Red Wine – Niner Wine Estates Twisted Spur, Paso Robles, 2008
- Top Sweet Wine – Hardy’s Whiskers, South Eastern Australia, NV
- Top Value Wine – Red Diamond Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, Washington State, 2008
Buckles, chaps and saddles will be awarded to the champions at the Rodeo Uncorked! Roundup and Best Bites Competition Sunday, Feb. 19, 2012, at Reliant Center. In addition to the champion wines, guests will sample food from area restaurants and catering institutions, and vote on their favorites in the Best Bites Competition. The top three restaurants or catering institutions will be named that evening.
All champion wines will be auctioned at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Auction and Dinner Saturday, March 3, 2012, at 6 p.m. in Reliant Center. For tickets to these Rodeo Uncorked! events, visit www.rodeohouston.com, e‐mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 832.667.1128.
A selection of winning wines will be available for tasting, or by the glass and bottle, in the Champion Wine Garden at the World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest, Feb. 23-25, 2012, and during the run of the Show, Feb. 28 – March 18, 2012, in Carruth Plaza. For more information on tickets and the Champion Wine Garden, visit www.rodeohouston.com.
More on Messina Hof Solera:
Messina Hof Solera Texas Sherry has vanilla and creamy flavors, almond and cherry notes with an undertone of white chocolate and truffles.
Blend: 100% Lenoir
Vineyard: Messina Hof, Bryan, Texas
Fermentation: 2 months
Aging: Blend of multiple vintages
Oxidized in 70% filled American oak barrels 3 months in Texas sun 2007
Brix at Harvest: 26º
Residual Sugar: 10%
Messina Hof Winery and Resort
4545 Old Reliance Rd.
Bryan, TX 77808
www.messinahof.com (800) 736-WINE
– — – — –
More on Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo:
The 2012 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo runs Feb. 28 – March 18, 2012. The Show is a Section 501(c)(3) charitable event, committed to benefiting youth, supporting education, and facilitating better agricultural practices through exhibitions and presentation. Since the its beginning in 1932, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo has committed approximately $283 million to scholarships, research, endowments, calf scramble participants, junior show exhibitors, School Art participants, and other educational and youth programs. For more information on the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, visit www.rodeohouston.com