Mark your calendar for Feb. 3 – it’s the 31st Annual Watson Field Day from 8am-5pm at the Cat Spring Agriculture Society Hall, 13035 Hall Rd, Cat Spring, Texas.
The Gulf Coast Winegrowers Association (GCWA) in partnership with Texas A&M AgriLife Extension and presented by Capital Farm Credit host this full day of viticulture and winemaking presentations, research related wine tastings, commercial exhibits and networking for both experienced and prospective grape growers and wine makers.
Weather and other adverse conditions along the Gulf Coast present unique challenges for grape growers and winemakers. The scheduled field day presentations reflect the cooperation between the GCWA and TAMU Extension in addressing many of the most important issues.
Activities and presentations which range from the basics to advanced, include the following:
• Prospective New Winegrowers Workshop – Fran Pontasch, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Gulf Coast Specialist (sponsored by Sommelier Logistics)
• Updates on Issues Facing Gulf Coast Viticulturist – Fran Pontasch, TAMU Extension
• Challenges & Requirements to Establishing AVAs for the Gulf Coast – Dr. Justin Scheiner, Texas A&M Professor & Extension Viticulture Specialist
• Potential of Biochar for Soil Improvement – Dr. Amit Dhingra, Professor and Dept of Horticulture Head, Texas A&M University
• From Vineyard to Wine- Potential Benefits to Verjus in Making Wine from High pH/High Yield Wine Varieties with representative blind wine tasting – Andrew Lyne, Texas A&M Graduate Thesis
• Status of Walker Varieties Being Grown in Texas, A Texas Growers and Winemakers Panel Discussion of vine growth, grape quality and the wines made from them (sponsored by Producer Supply)
• Research Update of Virus Impact on Blanc Du Bois Vines and Wines with a comparative blind wine tasting for audience/study input – Dr. Olufemi Alabi, Dr. David Appel, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Pathologists
• Networking Social (Sponsored by Texas Tech University Plant and Soils Science Department)
• Commercial exhibits from key industry providers
Registration at the door opens at 7:30am and is $50 for GCWA members, $60 for non-members and $25 with Student ID with lunch and social networking sessions included. The lunch is sponsored by Sensor Insight. Cash, checks, and credit cards are accepted. Non-members may join GCWA at registration.
Visit The Gulf Coast Winegrowers Association on Facebook for additional information.