Grand Slam for Wineries in Texas at 2017 Houston Rodeo International Wine Competition
Champion wines have been named from the thousands competing in the 2017 Rodeo Uncorked!® International Wine Competition, held Nov. 12 – 13, 2016, at NRG Center, Houston, Texas. Highest honors were given to four wineries in Texas: Pedernales Cellars, Fall Creek Vineyards, Kiepersol Vineyards and Winery, and Nice Winery (See underlined below).
The 2017 International Wine Competition judging included 2,850 entries from approximately 20 different countries, including Australia, Austria, France, Italy, Japan, Peru, South Africa and Spain. The competition also received 105 entries from the 2017 featured region, Tuscany. Texas wineries represented 351 entries.
The 2017 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition champions are:
- Grand Champion Best of Show – Arinzano, Pago de Arinzano White Grand Vino, 2010
- Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show – Nice Winery Notorious Malbec, Mount Veeder, 2013*
- Top Texas Wine – Pedernales Cellars Texas High Plains Tempranillo, 2014*
- Top Sparkling Wine – Laetitia Brut Rosé, Arroyo Grande Valley, 2014
- Top White Wine – Fall Creek Vineyards Chardonnay, Certenberg Vineyards, 2014*
- Top Red Wine – Trinchero Forte Red Wine, Napa Valley, 2012
- Top Region Wine – Talosa Vino Nobile di Montelpulciano D.O.C., 2012
- Top Sweet Wine – Bodegas Dios Baco, Baco de Elite Amontillado Sherry, Jerez D.O., NV
- Top Value Wine – Aia Vecchia Lagone, Toscana I.G.T., 2013
- Top All-Around Winery – Wilson Winery of Dry Creek
- Top Region Wine Company – Palm Bay International
- Top Wine Company – Trinchero Family Estates
- Top Texas Winery – Kiepersol Vineyards & Winery*
*Wineries located in Texas
All champion wines will be paired with dishes from top chefs at the Rodeo Uncorked! Roundup and Best Bites Competition, Sunday, Feb. 26, and sold at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Auction and Dinner Sunday, March 5, 2017.
Visitors to the 2017 Show can enjoy a selection of award-winning wines by the glass or bottle at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Garden, located in Carruth Plaza at NRG Park. For more information on Rodeo Uncorked! events, visit rodeohouston.com/wine.
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is a Section 501(c)(3) charity that benefits youth, supports education, and facilitates better agricultural practices through exhibitions and presentation. Since its beginning in 1932, the Show has committed more than $430 million to the youth of Texas.
For more information, visit rodeohouston.com and connect with #RODEOHOUSTON online via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube for all of the latest news. The 2017 Show is scheduled for March 7 – 26.
For a complete listing of medal-winning wines, visit .com/wine.